Your roasted chicken never had it so good! With the unpassable combination of creamy yogurt sauce and distinctive assembly of middle-eastern inspired seasoning, you and your family will want to dive right in!
- 1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Shawarma Spice Blend:
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter or ghee
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 roasted chicken, chicken removed and shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 small red onion halved, thinly sliced
- 1 large cucumber sliced into matchsticks
- 1 medium carrot peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 4 radishes trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup mixed fresh herbs, torn (mint leaves, cilantro, parsley etc)
- 1 cup greens such as spring mix or baby greens
- 6 pitas with pockets warmed
- Hot sauce for serving
- Begin by preparing the yogurt sauce. Simply mix together the yogurt, garlic, lemon zest and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate.
- For the shawarma spice blend, simply mix all of the spices in a small bowl. Set aside.
Heat your oil and butter (or ghee) in a 12 inch skillet. When the butter melts, add the spice mix. Stir and cook for about 30 seconds. Toss in the cooked, shredded chicken and mix until well-coated. Remove from pan into a large bowl. Add 1 tsp lemon juice and mix.
- Add your sliced vegetables to a large bowl. Stir in the vinegar and toss with your fresh herbs. Set aside.
Cut six 10-inch squares of aluminum foil and six 10-inch squares of parchment paper. Set aside. If you want to avoid aluminum foil, just use the parchment paper.
- It’s time to prepare the sandwiches!
- Cut off about 1″ off the top of each pita. You can stuff it back inside the pita easily working it down to the bottom.
- Spread your yogurt sauce inside each pita. Take your time and be sure not to tear the sides.
- Add a small handful of greens. Top with your chicken and vegetables, doing your best to keep contents in the center.
- Take a piece of foil and lay a piece of parchment on top (or just parchment paper). Lay the pita on the parchment with a bit of the pita hanging off the wrap. Fold in the edges of the pita. While holding it secure, wrap up the pita firmly to hold it’s shape.
- Serve with hot sauce and and extra yogurt sauce!
If you’re making these ahead, just wrap the pita tightly and entirely and refrigerate until eating. Enjoy!