There is nothing like a local Highlands Family Farm burger on the grill. This simple recipe dresses up your favorite burger in a few simple mouth-watering ways. Read on and be inspired to fire up the grill!
- 2 lbs ground chuck or housemade burgers
- 2 large red onions, or other sweet variety onion
- 16 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 12 oz gouda, swiss or other favorite mild melting cheese
- Sea Salt and Fresh Black Pepper
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 6 hamburger buns of choice or favorite lettuce for wraps
- lettuce for building burgers (on buns)
- Add olive oil and butter to a large saute pan and warm on medium low heat.
- Peel and slice onions into long, thin strips. Add the onions to the pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and then toss your onions in the oil and butter to coat thoroughly. Let them cook for about 30 minutes to carmelize, stirring occassionally.
- Preheat your grill. Combine your garlic and onion powder and lightly sprinkle on your handmade burgers. If making your own burgers, mix the seasoning combo thoroughly in your ground beef and shape the mixture into hamburger patties. Rub your burgers with just a touch of olive oil, then salt and pepper the outsides. Place the burgers to the grill and cook to your desired temperature. Add the hamburger buns to the grill for just a flash to warm. Be sure they don’t burn.
- About ten minutes before you assemble your burgers, add mushrooms to the caramelized onions and mix well with the onions and oil. Cook them over medium low until they are soft but don’t lose their moisture. Onions will be browned and beautifully carmelized.
- It’s time for the best part – assemble your burgers on your bun or lettuce wrap with lettuce (if you use a bun), burger, sliced Gouda, caramelized onions and mushrooms.
- Eat it while it’s hot! Delicious!