This tasty humble dish is a New Year’s Day favorite in the South and is said to usher in good luck and prosperity for the year ahead. Read on for our simple recipe featuring Eden Organic Black Eyed Peas.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cups Onion, diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 whole Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 2 stalks Celery, diced
- 3 cans Eden Organic Black Eyed Peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 pound Collard Greens, tough stems removed, leaves washed well and shredded
- 3 – 5 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 cup chopped Ham
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Cayenne Pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons White Vinegar
- White Or Brown Rice, For Serving
Heat olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, green pepper, and celery then stir and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Next add the collard greens, salt & pepper and cayenne. Cook for about a minute until the collard greens wilt. Now add the beans, chicken broth, ham, salt & pepper and cayenne to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Now check the liquid level. If it is too thin cook for an additional 15 minutes with the lid off. If it is too thick add in more broth.
Stir in vinegar and taste for seasonings, adding more spices as needed.
Serve over white or brown rice.