Are you looking for a simple but delicious recipe for the holidays? Read on to discover this elegant recipe for shoulder roast. It brings out the best of our quality shoulder roast with your favorite herbs and garlic plus just a touch of red wine. Add this recipe to your holiday favorites and delight your friends and family!
Garlic Herb Rub
- 2 cups chopped fresh herbs (rosemary, parsley, basil, thyme)
- 1 head garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (4-7 lb.) beef shoulder roast
Herbed Pan Sauce
- Olive Oil
- Reserved garlic/herbs mixture from roast
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1-2 cups beef broth, vegetable broth or water
1. Combine all Garlic Herb Rub ingredients and coat the shoulder roast with the rub. Refrigerate 4-6 hours.
2. When you’re ready to cook, take the roast out of the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature. Scrape off herbs and garlic from the roast and place in a dish and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 250°F.
4. In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat about 2-3 tablespoons olive oil. Place the roast in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes undisturbed. Flip the roast until all sides are nice and brown. Move the roast to a roasting pan and put in the oven.
5. Cook time is about 20 minutes per pound, or until roast is medium rare.
6. When cooking is complete, let the roast take a break for about ten minutes under a loose tent of aluminum foil before you carve.
7. While roast is cooling, return to the stovetop and add more olive oil to your pan if necessary. Add herb-garlic mixture and cook over low heat until garlic is fully caramelized and crispy. A little sticking to the pan is normal, but don’t allow the garlic and herbs to burn.
8. Pour the red wine into the pan scraping up the caramelized bits on the bottom as the wine simmers.
9. Mix cornstarch with warm water until dissolved. Add to simmering wine along with broth/water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Return garlic and herb bits to the pan and simmer until it reduced to desired thickness.
10. Slice roast and serve with the pan sauce. Enjoy!