Thinking about healthy Halloween treats? Here’s a simple snack-worthy recipe on the healthier side for your favorite trick-or-treaters or anytime!
- 6 heaping cups popped corn
- 1/4 cup natural creamy peanut or almond butter
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or honey
- 1.3 ounces favorite dark chocolate bar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dried cherries
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Prepare a medium bowl of ice water.
- Put the popcorn in a large bowl.
- Mix the agave (or honey) and peanut butter (or almond butter) in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring gently but continuously. When the mixture starts to lightly bubble, continue cooking and stirring constantly for about 15 seconds longer.
- Immediately pour the mixture over the popcorn being sure to distribute evenly. Mix gently with a wooden spoon or spatula until well coated. Gently stir in finely chopped dried cherries
- Dip both hands in the ice water. Working quickly, press small handfuls (heaping ¼ cup each) of the popcorn mixture firmly into 2-inch balls. (Make sure each ball gets a little bit of the dried cherries.) Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet. If they seem too fragile, rinse hands with cold water and press and squeeze each ball again to help keep it together. Place in refrigerator for 10 minutes to set.
- Break chocolate and place into a heatproof bowl. Place heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water and allow the chocolate to melt, stirring occasionally.
- Dip or drizzle the chocolate over the popcorn balls and place back in the fridge to set the chocolate.
- To store, wrap separately in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container.
You can store wrapped airtight for up to 2 days, but they are best the day they are made.