We all have our Cauliflower favorites from rice to Alfredo. Here is one of ours – a Vegan Cauliflower Pizza Crust. These few simple ingredients can bring back “Pizza and a Movie Night” and restore just a little bit of hope to a world that might have otherwise been pizza-free. Come join in the fun!
Cauliflower Pizza Crust (Vegan-Friendly!)
1/2 medium head of cauliflower
(4 cups of small florets)
2 1/2 tbsp flaxmeal or chia seeds
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup flour
(We suggest spelt, white, oat, sorghum, or almond. You can also use a lightly packed 1/2 cup rolled oats or quinoa flakes)
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
• Line a baking sheet with parchment and put aside. Preheat oven to 450 F.
• Briskly mix flax and water and refrigerate at least a 1/2 hour.
• Chop cauliflower into small florets and steam until soft. Drain well.
• For rolled oats, process them in a food processor until oats achieve a flour-like texture. No processing needed if using flour. Stir the flour with the oregano, garlic, and salt.
• Allow cauliflower to cool and place it in a clean dish towel or cheesecloth and squeeze out moisture. It needs to be as dry as possible.
• Place the dry cauliflower into a medium-size bowl and add the flax mixture. Mash and stir well. Then add the flour mixture and stir.
• Form into a ball and place on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Place a second sheet of parchment paper on top and spread into a circle about 1/4 inch thick. Remove top parchment paper.
• Bake 25 minutes, or until lightly browned with crispy edges. Remove and add your desired toppings. Bake an additional 8 minutes. Cool for about 5 minutes then slice and dig in!