With the changing of seasons upon us, sometimes it’s nice just to stop for a moment, breathe in the fresh cool air and take things a little slower. In the spirit of slow, here is a simple recipe sure to celebrate the coming of fall and the warm and satisfying foods and flavors that come with that.
Apple Spiced Pot Roast
(Slow Cooker Recipe)
1 chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
1 tsp. vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/8 tsp. fresh pepper
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
3 whole cloves
4 medium apples (cored and quartered)
1 small onion (sliced)
1/2 cup apple juice or cider
3 tbsp. flour
3 tbsp. water
- Trim all extra fat from roast.
- Rub the top of meat with vegetable oil.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and ginger on the roast and insert the whole cloves into the meat.
- Place apples and onions in the bottom of the slow cooker and put the roast on top.
- Pour in apple juice.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 9 to 12 hours, until tender.
- When fully cooked, remove the roast and apples and place on a warm platter. .
- Turn the slow cooker to HIGH.
- Make a smooth paste with the flour and water and stir the paste into the remaining liquid in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until thickened.
- Pour gravy over roast when serving.